Eating healthy fare doesn’t require an all-night cookathon that leaves every pot and pan in your home stacked ceiling-high in the sink. Leave those endeavors to Gordon Ramsay. But we’re not saying you should toss all ambition aside for a frozen pizza, either.
The trick is to find the right balance. Like this salad
, which contains these five main ingredients—corn tortillas, black beans
, corn, chicken
, and spinach—and can be ready in about 15 minutes. It will pack a punch on your palate but leave your waistline intact.
TEX-MEX CHICKEN TACO SALADSERVINGS: 4
COOK TIME: 15
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 8 cups bagged fresh spinach
- 2 cups sliced rotisserie chicken
- 1 (14 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place tortillas on a baking tin. When oven is hot, heat tortillas until crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. Prepare corn according to package directions.
2. Divide spinach, chicken, black beans, tomatoes, avocado, red onion, and cooked corn among serving plates. In a bowl, whisk together sour cream, olive oil, lime juice, chipotle chili powder, and a few pinches of salt.
3. Break tortillas into 1″ pieces and sprinkle over salads. Drizzle sour cream dressing on top.